Less food for Palestine – level 3
The World Food Programme (WFP) will suspend food aid to over 200,000 Palestinians from next month due to a severe shortage of funds, according to the group’s senior official for the Palestinian territories.
Samer Abdeljaber said the WFP would be forced to make painful choices to stretch the limited resources. The most affected families are in Gaza, where poverty and food insecurity are highest, and in the West Bank. The UN agency offers impoverished Palestinians monthly vouchers worth 10.30 dollars per person and food baskets, both of which will be impacted by the suspension of aid.
Gaza, which has been run by the Islamist Hamas group since 2007, is home to 2.3 million people, of which 45% are unemployed and 80% depend on international aid, according to Palestinian and UN records. Unless funding is received, the WFP will be forced to suspend food and cash assistance entirely by August.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What strategic options are available to the WFP in order to prevent the suspension of aid to over 200,000 Palestinians?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.