Life in Donetsk, Ukraine – level 2
This news is from Donetsk, a city in eastern Ukraine. Now, there is a ceasefire, but the rebels and the Ukrainian government forces can start fighting again.
Life, and especially caring for children, is not easy in the city. An orphanage, which cares for 21 children, knows the hardship too well. The children are in danger both physically and psychologically. The director explained that she and the teachers do not speak of the war.
However, the children know what is happening. They want the war to stop so they can be safe.
Difficult words: ceasefire (no fighting for some time), orphanage (institution for children without parents), hardship (the difficult life).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Have you ever experienced war?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos