Lightning kills 11 people – level 3
A lightning strike in a small indigenous village in northern Colombia has killed at least 11 people.
During an early morning community ritual, the incident, which occurred in Colombia’s Sierra Nevada Mountains, left over a dozen other people seriously injured.
The region is home to several indigenous communities.
An indigenous administrative official said the area has had small tragedies from flashes of lighting in the past but nothing of this magnitude.
The injured who suffered burns were evacuated by military helicopter to the city of Santa Marta.
The government’s emergency management unit said it would be sending a team to the site.
Difficult words: indigenous (native people of an area), community (something for a large group of people), ritual (something a group or religion does regularly), several (few), magnitude (size).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.