Little Dalmatian Pelicans – level 1
This news is from a zoo. This zoo is in California. It takes care of two new animals. These animals are Dalmatian Pelicans. Their parents cannot take care of them. People must do it.
People keep the little pelicans in a brooder. They must stay warm. People give them food five times a day. The pelicans can eat without help.
The Dalmatian Pelican is a big bird. It can be 6 feet long (1.8 metres). Its wings can be 9 to 11 feet long (2.7 metres to 3.4 metres).
Difficult words: take care (to help), brooder (a special house for small animals), wing (a bird’s body part which helps it fly).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos