Little otter in Chicago – level 3
An aquarium in Chicago has welcomed a five-week-old orphaned southern sea otter pup.
Currently referred to as Pup 681, the fuzzy female pup weighs just under six pounds (2.7 kg) and is 22 inches long (56 cm).
Officials say the pup is doing really well and has already taken formula from a bottle and has begun eating solid foods, like shrimp and clams.
The aquarium says the pup’s situation was urgent when she was found in September on Coastways Beach in California.
Officials say when they found the pup, she had likely been separated from her mother for at least 16 hours, creating a critical situation, requiring her to be fed as quickly as possible.
Difficult words: orphaned (parentless), fuzzy (covered with soft short hair), formula (a type of liquid food for babies that is similar to a woman’s breast milk), clam (a kind of a seashell).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.