Llamas and the coronavirus – level 2
Belgian scientists took antibodies from a llama, and the antibodies can help fight against COVID-19.
Llamas have an antibody which is called a heavy chain antibody, and it is much simpler than human antibodies. Therefore, it is possible to take a small part of it and put it together with other proteins like building blocks. Studies showed that this method worked for several variants of the virus, including the dangerous delta variant, too.
Scientists are doing more tests to see how good the method really is. It will not replace vaccines, but it could help people with weak immune systems or people who end up in hospital.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.