Loch Ness Monster – level 2
For centuries, people talked about a water monster in Loch Ness, which is a lake in Scotland. People call the monster Nessie, and many tourists visit this lake because of the monster.
Scientists are now hoping to find out if Nessie is real, but they will not be swimming in the lake to find it. They are going to take 300 water samples and filter organic material from the samples.
They will extract and analyse the DNA from the material. They will compare it with DNA databases around the world.
Difficult words: sample (a tiny part of something), extract (get from), compare (look at two things and see if they are similar), database (a collection of data, information).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos