Loch Ness Monster – level 3
For centuries, the legend of a prehistoric monster living in Loch Ness, which is a lake in Scotland, has captured people’s imagination.
Supposed sightings of the creature called Nessie increased over the past century with the invention of photography, and many tourists are attracted to the shores every year by the prospect of an encounter.
Now, scientists are hoping to settle the question of Nessie’s existence by analysing 300 water samples. Professor Neil Gemmell from Ottago University explained that people are going to take water samples from the lake, filter the water to extract organic material in it, and use the material to extract DNA. They will then compare the DNA sequences with other things in databases around the world.
Difficult words: prehistoric (before modern time), supposed (said to be true), sighting (seeing something special), creature (animal), prospect (possibility), encounter (meeting, seeing something special), DNA sequence (the exact order of the information that DNA gives about a living thing).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos