London has problems with electricity – level 3
This footage released by Westminster Council shows a lucky escape by two van drivers who narrowly avoided being caught by an exploding pavement.
The incident happened in July, but this CCTV footage has just been released.
It happened near London’s Piccadilly Circus and is part of a growing problem within the city to do with electrical faults.
Energy bosses from OFGEM and UK Power Networks were questioned by Westminster Council recently, but it has been said that the phenomenon could remain a threat for at least another decade, as workers scramble to fix faults across the capital.
Difficult words: footage (video), CCTV (security camera), OFGEM (Office of Gas and Electricity Market), decade (10 years), phenomenon (event that happens regularly), scramble (move quickly).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.