London Kicks Out Uber – level 1
Uber is a ride-sharing app that you can get on your mobile phone. Uber does well in London, England. It has 40,000 drivers and 3.5 million customers.
The London government says that Uber is not doing what it needs to do. It says that it is not completing background checks for its drivers. It says that it is also not reporting serious crimes.
Uber is going to ask if it can keep working in London. It has 21 days to do this. If it loses, the company will have to stop working in London.
Difficult words: ride-sharing app (a mobile phone app that lets you get a ride from someone who is driving his or her car), background check (seeing if a person is good and can drive people).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos