London Kicks Out Uber – level 2
In London, England, Uber lost its license to operate after the government said that Uber did not complete background checks on its drivers, and the government had concerns about the reporting of serious crimes. Losing Uber will affect 40,000 drivers and 3.5 million customers in the city.
Uber will challenge the ruling in courts as it has 21 days to appeal. The service can keep going during this process.
A government office also said that Uber was not a good company, and people criticised it for unlawfully kicking out other companies that drive people.
Difficult words: license to operate (permission to work somewhere), background check (when you can see records to find out if someone has committed a crime or done other things in his or her past), appeal (ask to change a decision).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.