London Kicks Out Uber – level 3
In London, England, Uber lost its license to operate after the government licensing body said that Uber did not complete background checks on its drivers, and there were concerns over the reporting of serious criminal offences. This move impacts 40,000 drivers and their 3.5 million customers in the city.
Uber will challenge the ruling in courts with 21 days to appeal. The service can continue during this process.
The government office called Transport for London said that Uber is not ‘a fit and proper company’, and there were criticisms that Uber unlawfully kicked out competition.
Difficult words: government licensing body (the organisation in a government that says who can work somewhere), impact (affect, change something), appeal (ask to change a formal decision).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos