London’s Muslim Mayor – level 2
In London, people elected the new mayor, who is a son of a London bus driver and the former human rights lawyer. His name is Sadiq Khan and he is the first Muslim mayor of London. With a 13.6% margin, he was the popular winner.
When Khan began to give his first speech as mayor, another mayoral candidate turned his back on him. He probably wanted to protest against Khan because he is a Muslim. That candidate’s own CV includes past membership to the neo-Nazi-linked National Front.
However, that candidate only received 1% of the vote, so we can say that London turned its back on him first.
Difficult words: elect (to choose), former (ex-), margin (an amount by which something is won).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos