Long Trip with no Money – level 3
As part of campaign for Airbnb, film maker Leon Stuparich travelled 322 kilometres from London to Glastonbury on foot, completely relying on the kindness of strangers.
He said that he wanted to test whether kindness and love was enough to survive in 21st century Britain.
His group’s experience was that if you meet somebody with a smile and you take time to understand that person’s story as well, then people will come forward and they will naturally be kind. They automatically turn around and say, ‘Well, what can we do for you? What can we offer?’
People made his group tea, brought the people leftover rice and one time, even gave them keys to their apartment. Stuparich said that it was probably the most drastic night when they did not know where they were going to stay and one in the group was really sick. It was that night that they were screening the film ‘Road to Peace’ in an arts centre that someone said, ‘Here are the keys. Let yourself come and go as you please!’
Difficult words: Airbnb (a website that helps people find homes to rent for vacations), rely (depend upon), turn around (change how you feel suddenly), drastic (extreme), screen (to show a film).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
Would you like to live from kindness?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos