Longest and deepest tunnel – level 2
Switzerland and much of Europe are celebrating the official opening of the world’s longest and deepest rail tunnel. The 56-kilometre Gotthard Base Tunnel connects northern and southern Europe as deep as 2.3 kilometres below the surface.
Some journeys which used to take people days are now possible in as little as 17 minutes. When full service begins in December, travellers will see the time that it takes for them to get from Zurich to Milan cut by nearly 3 hours.
During the 17 years of construction, engineers had to dig through 73 different kinds of rock. People praised the 12-billion-dollar project for finishing on time and within budget. Sadly, nine workers lost their lives while working on this tunnel.
Difficult words: used to (something that happened regularly in the past, but doesn’t anymore), praise (to say good things about something), budget (the amount of money needed or available for something).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos