Longest basketball match – level 3
A final whistle that everyone will have been dying to hear, marking the end of the longest game of basketball ever played.
“120 hours, 1 minute, 7 seconds.”
Having started on Monday, the two teams of 12 players from Manila in the Philippines have been shooting hoops non-stop for five days.
“We went through so much, the hardships, the stress, the pain and the emotional strain mixed together, but when we saw the clock reaching 120 hours, the pain vanished. We’re so happy.”
And in what sounds like the most grueling record attempt ever, the players had to follow strict instructions, including not being allowed to leave the court, only being allowed to rest when they were subbed off and not showing any sign of fatigue during play.
And 120 hours, one minute and seven seconds later, they had easily beaten the previous record of 112 hours and were able to get a well-earned rest.
Difficult words: mark (signal), hoop (the ring that you have to throw the ball through to score points), hardship (hard time), strain (stress), vanish (disappear), grueling (extremely tiring), sub off (replace by another player), fatigue (extreme tiredness).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos