Longest Cross-Sea Bridge – level 1
China builds a cross-sea bridge. It is the longest in the world. Now China finishes it. The bridge is open. It is 55 kilometres long. It connects Hong Kong, Zhuhai and Macao. It cuts travel time from 4 hours to 45 minutes.
Many Hong Kong activists see the bridge symbolically. It shows Hongkongers that they are connected to China.
Difficult words: activist (a person who does things for politics), symbolically (like a symbol – something which is not important for what it does, but it is important for what it says about something), connected (together).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.