Longest Cross-Sea Bridge – level 2
Last Tuesday, people finished the longest cross-sea bridge and it opened. The Hong Kong–Zhuhai–Macao Bridge is 55 kilometres long, and it reduces travel time from 4 hours to just 45 minutes.
Many Hong Kong activists see the project as a political statement. One Hong Kong politician said that Hong Kong is already connected to China in every way. She claimed that China needed the bridge as a political symbol to remind Hongkongers that they are connected to the motherland.
Difficult words: statement (a symbol), claim (say, argue), remind (show), motherland (the original country).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos