Lorry Attack in Jerusalem – level 2
A lorry driver in Jerusalem turned his truck off the road and drove straight into a group of soldiers.
The police opened fire in a desperate attempt to stop the driver. The wind screen of the lorry was hit with bullets by Israeli police.
Four soldiers died, which were three women and one man. At least 15 other soldiers were injured. The moment was filmed by CCTV cameras.
The driver then reversed and hit more pedestrians. At this point, the police opened fire and killed the driver. An Israeli tour guide, who survived the accident, also tried to fire upon the attacker to stop him.
The country’s prime minister visited the site. He said that the attacker was a supporter of the Islamic State. The driver was identified as a Palestinian from an Arab neighborhood in East Jerusalem. It was the latest in a series of attacks on Israeli soldiers, but people believe it to be one of the most serious incidents so far.
Difficult words: desperate (want something really badly), attempt (try), reverse (drive back), open fire (start to shoot).
You can watch the video news in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos