Lorry Attack in Jerusalem – level 3
Israeli police hit the wind screen of a lorry with bullets. They opened fire in a desperate attempt to stop a driver after he turned his truck off a road and drove straight into a group of soldiers.
Four soldiers died, which were three women and one man. At least 15 other soldiers were injured. CCTV cameras captured the moment the lorry drove into the group.
The driver then reversed, hitting more pedestrians. It was at this point that the police opened fire, killing the driver.
An Israeli tour guide who survived the accident tried to fire upon the attacker himself. He said that the attacker kept on driving, so he did not know if his bullets were the ones that made him stop.
Surrounded by tight security when he visited the site, the country’s prime minister said that the attacker was a suspected supporter of the so-called Islamic State. The driver has been identified as a Palestinian from an Arab neighborhood in East Jerusalem.
It was the latest in a series of attacks on Israeli soldiers, but this was believed to be one of the most serious incidents so far.
Difficult words: riddle (shoot quickly), desperate (when you want something really badly), attempt (try), open fire (start to shoot), suspected (someone who is thought to be guilty of a crime).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.