Lost Japanese boy is back – level 3
Released from hospital after an ordeal he will likely never forget. This is Yamato Tanooka, the seven-year-old boy who was last week at the centre of a major search operation in Japan.
On the 28th of May, Yamato was left at the side of the road by his parents, who wanted to punish him for throwing stones. When they returned a short time later, he had disappeared into the forest, where he remained lost for nearly a week.
His story gripped Japan and several hundred people were involved in efforts to locate him. On Friday, he was found at a military hut a few miles from where he was last seen having survived without food for days.
But today the saga finally came to an end as Yamato emerged from hospital. Walking out in front of the cameras, the boy carried a handmade baseball covered in what looked like messages of support and told reporters he feels fine.
Yamato’s father says his son has forgiven him for leaving him by the roadside but no doubt realises that this story could have ended so differently.
Difficult words: ordeal (a tough situation), grip (keep people’s attention), saga (a long story), emerge (come out).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.