Love Fridge – level 3
In 2012, community fridges started in Germany, and they grew globally. Their popularity exploded over the pandemic with more than 200, spanning the US from Seattle, Washington, to New York, New York.
More than 13 million US households, or around 35 million Americans, experienced food insecurity sometime in 2020. Generally, the issue wasn´t a lack or shortage of food but how they received it. The love fridge’s goal is to address food insecurity, when members of a community make most of the food. However, local restaurants help prepare nutritious meals, too. Volunteers give these meals, and people in need can take them out from the fridges. People come every day, and that is why the fridges are empty all the time.
Problems with a lack of food are anchored in communities, typically to Black and Hispanic families who live in areas with poorly supplied grocery stores. However, in 2019, 408 billion dollars; worth of food was either uneaten or unsold, which makes 35% of all the prepared food.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.