Lungs Transplant – level 3
Imogen Bolton, a baby girl from Britain, was desperately ill in her first month of life. She was tiny and frail, and in and out of hospital, with a rare condition which left her struggling to breathe.
Today, she is a healthy child thanks to an astounding transformation – she has two new lungs which doctors transplanted when she was just five months old. She is possibly the youngest double recipient of lungs in Europe.
Children can wait years for donors, and in some cases, a donor never comes, but Imogen was incredibly lucky – her match came within days. The operation was complex, and the doctors had to use a magnifying glass because of the tiny lungs and airways about the size of a small straw.
The girl is now home happy and healthy, but her parents are very aware that for Imogen to get her donor lungs, another set of parents lost a child.
Difficult words: desperately (seriously), tiny (very small), frail (weak and sick), struggle (if you struggle doing something, it is very hard to do it), astounding (amazing).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos