Lying man from Wales – level 1
This news is about a man. He is from Wales. He takes £40,000 from an old person. The man must go to court, but he does not want to go. He tells people he is very ill. He says that he cannot move his legs or arms.
The man is a liar. Police find a security camera of him. In the video, he can walk and drive a car. Police show the video to the man. He says that he is guilty.
Difficult words: court (the place where they say if you are guilty of something), liar (a person who tells things which are not true), guilty (admit you did something wrong).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
How would you punish the man?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.