Lying man from Wales – level 3
Police in Wales released this surveillance footage on Thursday showing a man, who claims to suffer from quadriplegia, driving a car and walking unassisted.
It’s believed Allan Knight from Swansea told authorities that he suffered from the illness to avoid appearing in court on charges of theft and forgery after he allegedly took more than £40,000 from an elderly neighbour.
Knight can be seen driving the car into the petrol station and then getting out unaided. He can later be seen getting back into the car and driving off.
Allan Knight appeared at Swansea Crown Court on Tuesday in a wheelchair and a neck brace. He was then presented with the surveillance footage discovered by South Wales Police which showed him driving a car and walking around a supermarket.
After seeing the footage, Knight admitted all charges and is due to face sentencing next month.
Difficult words: surveillance footage (security camera video), quadriplegia (paralysis of all four limbs), unassisted (without help), theft (the crime of stealing), forgery (falsification), allegedly (according to what is said), elderly (old), unaided (unassisted), is due to (it is officially planned), sentencing (punishment).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.