Maasai Olympics – level 2
On Saturday, hundreds of people competed in Kenya in the Maasai Olympics. Young men competed in spear throw, athletics, high jump, and other sports.
Maasai leaders and conservationists wanted to protect animals. Instead of lion and other animal hunts, young Maasai men train for the Olympics to win medals and money. The event is becoming more popular among young Maasai, and it is an important ritual for them.
Maasai Olympics reduce the hunt of animals. With around 2,000 lions, Kenya is only one of a few places where the lion population is not falling.
Difficult words: spear (a long weapon with a sharp end), conservationist (a person who works to protect the natural world), ritual (a formal ceremony).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos