Machine Makes Books Safe – level 2
Libraries in Japan use special machines that sterilize books.
Visitors can use the machine when they borrow books and also when they return them. It takes 30 seconds to sterilize a book. The machine moves the pages and clears out dust. Special light kills bacteria and makes the books safe and clean. Some people do not know if the machine really works, but they say that it is better to do something than nothing.
Libraries started to use the machines in 2018, and now there are more than three million machines in Japanese libraries. There is the coronavirus right now, and people are using the machines more and more. Many elderly borrow books from libraries, and it is important to keep the elderly safe.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.