Machine Makes Books Safe – level 3
Libraries in Japan use machines that sterilize books using UV light. According to a Japanese information media for foreign residents, there are more than three million machines installed in public libraries throughout the country.
It takes 30 seconds to sterilize a book and it turns the pages to clear out dust. Visitors can use the machine once they have borrowed a book and then again upon its return. Sterilizing machines give visitors reassurance to take out publications during the coronavirus pandemic; however, it is not required to use them.
Although some libraries had a machine installed in 2018, they are now being used three times as much. Many of libraries’ patrons are elderly, and so keeping them safe is extra important. Japan has avoided a vast number of COVID-19 cases and deaths; however, the country is now experiencing a third wave.
Difficult words: sterilize (make something free from bacteria or other organisms), UV light (invisible rays that are a part of the sunlight or special lamps and lasers), patron (a regular customer), wave (a high number of things).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos