Madonna’s Birthday – level 1
Madonna is a singer. She is from the USA. She was born on 16th August 1958. Last week, it was her 60th birthday.
Madonna is the biggest woman singer. She sings for 40 years. She sells 300 million records. Some of her biggest hits are ‘Like a Virgin’, ‘Papa Don’t Preach’, ‘Vogue’ and ‘Ray of Light’.
She is sixty but she is still working. She has six children. She adopted four of them. They are from Africa.
Difficult words: was (past of ‘is’), record (a recording of music such as on a cassette or a CD), adopted (when you adopt a child, you are the parent of a child which is not your son or daughter).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos