Malcolm X’s Death – level 3
In 1965, someone assassinated Malcolm X, an African-American political leader and a famous Black Muslim, while he gave a speech in a ballroom in New York City, USA.
Police fell upon Muhammad Aziz and Khalil Islam only moments after the assassination. However, these two men were innocent, and they became victims of a major miscarriage of justice. In 1966, a court sentenced them to life behind bars for a combined 42 years. They were released in the 1980s, yet, the crime followed them for years.
A 2020 Netflix documentary discovered problems in the investigation, and then police reopened the case. Now, after a two-year-investigation, the court exonerated them, and in his 80s, Aziz is at last a free man. Sadly, Islam died in 2009 without ever seeing justice.
Difficult words: fall upon (to take hold of somebody with a lot of energy and enthusiasm), miscarriage (a failure in justice), exonerate (to prove that someone´s not guilty of crime or responsible for a problem).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.