Man biked up Taipei 101 – level 2
A Polish mountain biker cycled up the Taipei 101 tower. It took him 2 hours and 30 minutes to overcome the building’s 3,139 steps. However, he is still waiting for confirmation of the record by the Guinness World Record authorities.
The man is 33 years old and he is a teacher. His previous record was set last year – he climbed 2,919 steps up a tower in Melbourne.
Taipei 101 was the tallest building in the world. Burj Khalifa in Dubai then took the title – it is more than 500 metres taller.
Difficult words: overcome (to do something hard), confirmation (the act of confirming something – officially saying that something is true), authority (person or an organisation in a position of power).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Pretty cool, isn't it?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.