Man catches a bank robber – level 3
A man who was queuing up at bank in south London got more than he bargained for, as he ended up catching a bank robber.
James Rowley, who said he was in a bad mood that day, was in a Lloyds Bank when masked robber Andrew Fernandez suddenly burst in and waved a gun at the cashier.
After a moment or two, Rowely noticed the gun was fake and challenged the robber.
In a statement he said he asked Fernandez to leave and when Fernandez tried to escape, he chased after him.
James Rowley, who is a window cleaner, chased the armed robber down the street and caught him and then waited for police to arrive.
He was later presented with a commendation for his actions and given £1,200 for his bravery from the Metropolitan police.
Andrew Fernandez was jailed for life for attempted armed robbery.
Difficult words: bargain for (to not expect that something will happen), challenge (to confront), commendation (recognition).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.