Man eats iron nails – level 2
A man from China has an interesting hobby. He loves nails. However, he doesn’t collect them. He eats them.
Yes, that is no joke. He can swallow a few nails at once. The nails are three to five centimetres long, and the man washes them down with water. The Chinese man shocks everyone around him. The man learned it from other people 32 years ago. He was 17 or 18 years old.
The man can eat glass, ceramics and tiles, as well. It all sounds crazy, but he is healthy.
Difficult words: nail (thin piece of metal with a flat top that is used for building things), swallow (make food go down your throat), tile (flat square piece for covering walls and floors).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Are you a teacher? Download the exercises for your class here. They are for free. You can copy them and use them in your class.
Do you eat any strange food?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.