Man finds gold coins – level 3
An amateur archaeologist struck gold when he came across a hoard of old coins in northern Germany. Florian Bautsch uncovered 10 gold coins last October using a metal detector and on examination of the scene, professionals found 117 more.
The coins are of French, Belgian, Italian and Austro-Hungarian origin and date from 1831 to 1910. They’re believed to have been buried during the Nazi era or shortly after the Second World War.
Two aluminium seals featuring swastika crosses, eagles and the words “Reichsbank Berlin 244” were also in discovered in the same field. Researchers think the coins were part of the German central bank’s gold reserves and were probably stolen.
The hoard has been valued at around 45,000 euro, but unfortunately for Florian Bautsch, it’s not finders keepers. He reportedly receives a relatively modest finder’s fee of 2.5 thousand euro, and the coins will go on display at the local museum next week.
Difficult words: strike gold (to become rich, happy, or successful), hoard (a big amount), finders keepers (when someone finds something, he can keep it).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.