Man Has a New Face – level 2
In 2018, a 22-year-old named Joe DiMeo from New Jersey, US, had a serious car crash.
Joe suffered burns on more than 80% of his body. His lips and eyelids were burned, and doctors had to amputate his fingers. Joe spent more than three months in a coma. When he woke up, he started to exercise a little.
Joe underwent a surgery during which doctors transplanted his face and hands. Both body parts came from the same person, and it was the first such surgery in the world which was successful. It took place in New York and a team of 140 people worked for 23 hours. After the surgery, Joe said that there was always a reason to be happy.
Difficult words: amputate (to cut off an arm, leg, or fingers), coma (when a person has an accident and he looks like he is sleeping, but his body does not react to anything), transplant (to take an organ or another body part from one body and put it in another body).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this operation?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.