Man Has a New Face – level 3
A 22-year-old man from New Jersey, US, has undergone the world’s first face and double hand transplant.
In 2018, Joe DiMeo was severely burned in a horrific car crash, suffering burns on over 80% of his body. He had extensive injuries, including amputated fingertips, facial scarring, and no lips and eyelids. He was in a coma for three and a half months, and then he spent a month waking up and trying to exercise a little.
The reconstructive plastic surgery was carried out by a team of 140 staff at a hospital in New York, and it took 23 hours. It included transplanting both hands and the full face of a single donor simultaneously and it marked the first successful combination transplant case of its kind. After the surgery, DiMeo said that there were always a thousand ways to be sad about something, but there were always a million ways to be happy.
Difficult words: amputated (separated from the body), coma (a state when a person is alive but he looks like he is sleeping and he doesn’t respond to pain, light or sound), reconstructive plastic surgery (a surgery that is performed to reconstruct a part of the body or improve its appearance).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos