Man has a special operation – level 3
The man who had the world’s first penis transplant is apparently going to become a dad.
Experts were predicting it could take two years for the South African patient to regain all functions, but the 21-year-old trooper has reportedly shown this had been achieved in just four months. South African outlet News24 reported that just six months after the unnamed man’s surgery was successful, the surgeon said his girlfriend say she’s pregnant.
Surgeons at Stellenbosch University and Tygerberg Hospital performed a nine-hour operation to attach a donated penis.
“The penis was harvested from a donor whose family consented and we transplanted it in a nine-hour operation to the recipient. He’s very happy, and he’s not having any major side effects from the immune suppression.”
The man had been left with just one centrimetre of his original penis as a result of a botched circumcision. He was 18 and sexually active at the time.
When attaching the donated penis, the team used some of the techniques that had been developed to perform the first face transplants, in order to connect the tiny blood vessels and nerves.
Difficult words: trooper (soldier and a person who works hard), outlet (news organization), harvest (to get), consent (to have permission), recipient (person who gets something), immune suppression (when you take medicine to make your immune system weaker so your body does not attack your new body part), botched (badly done), circumcision (when part of the penis is cut off), tiny (very small).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.