Man is hit with a hammer – level 1
A man lives in a flat. A new flatmate comes to live with him. The new flatmate hits him with a hammer. The victim’s head is badly injured. He lies on the bed and he is not awake.
The new flatmate thinks that he is dead. He calls the police. The police arrive at the scene. They arrest the man. He goes to a special prison for 14 years.
The victim goes to hospital. He will live.
Difficult words: flatmate (a person who shares a flat with another person), victim (somebody who is attacked), injured (not fine because it was attacked).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think of this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.