Man is hit with a hammer – level 3
A man has been found guilty of assaulting his flatmate with a hammer.
Twenty-one year old Joseph Williams was found guilty of attempted murder at the Old Bailey in London on Monday. He was sentenced to 14 years and will be detained in a secure hospital.
The incident happened when Williams called the police after he thought he’d killed his housemate Connor Huntley with a hammer on May 28th. Kent Police soon arrived at their address and arrested him. Connor was found unconscious, lying on an inflatable bed with a serious head injury.
He was treated at the scene before being airlifted to Queens Hospital where he underwent emergency surgery.
Investigations found Williams was first introduced to Connor via mutual friends several weeks before the attack. Connor eventually moved in the night before the incident after looking for somewhere to live.
In a police interview, Williams gave no reason as to why he attacked Connor. After he was found guilty, he was given a hospital order under the Mental Health Act.
Difficult words: assault (attack), flatmate (somebody who shares a flat with somebody), attempted (tried), detain (to keep somebody somewhere), unconscious (not awake), mutual friends (they know the same people).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.