Man is rescued twice – level 3
A man in Alabama was rescued twice from rising flood waters on Wednesday.
These television images show the man, waist-deep in water, clinging on to a tree, as floodwaters rushed past him.
A police officer waded into the water to rescue the man, who was then pulled in by rescue crews to higher ground.
But that wasn’t the last the police saw of the man, after they said they had to rescue him a second time, after he found himself trapped once again.
The man was rescued successfully for a second time. Police said the stranded victim not only put his own life in danger, but also those of the rescue crews.
Difficult words: cling (to hold something tightly), rush (move quickly), wade (to walk through water), stranded (stuck).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.