Man rows from Canada to Australia – level 2
For 209 days, a British man rowed from Canada to Australia and became the first person to do this solo. He rowed up to 15 hours a day to cover the 14,500 kilometres.
He planned to reach Australia by November, but bad weather pushed him back, and so it took him an extra month.
His wife and children met him in Australia with custom officials. His wife said that he told her that he will not get on a boat for a while, but she thinks that he’ll want to have another adventure in a few weeks.
Difficult words: solo (alone), reach (to get to), custom official (a person who checks the people and their things when they come into a country).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you row?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos