Man spends one day at sea – level 1
Lisala Folau is 57 years old. He lives on the island of Atata in Tonga.
Atata is about 50 kilometers from a volcano. The volcano erupts last week. A tsunami comes. Folau is on the beach. He sees a big wave. He is scared. He does not have time to run away.
The wave takes him away. The man ends up in the sea. The man spends more than 24 hours in the sea. It is not easy for him. He is disabled. Disabled means that he cannot move easily.
The man gets to the island of Tongatapu. It is 13 kilometers from his home island.
Folau would like to go back home one day. It is not possible now. There are no houses. The wave destroys everything. Only a church is there.
Difficult words: volcano (a mountain that can explode), erupt (when a volcano explodes), tsunami (a very big wave which comes after an earthquake or after a volcano erupts), destroy (to damage or break something very badly).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.