Man spends one day at sea – level 2
Last week, a tsunami hit Tonga, and it devastated several islands.
Lisala Folau was on the island of Atata when the tsunami came. He saw the big wave, and he said that he was very scared. The wave took the man away into the open sea. The disabled man swam and floated in the sea for more than a day, before he finally reached land again.
The man ended up on the island of Tongatapu which was about 13 kilometers away from Atata. He said that he would love to go back to Atata one day because it was his home.
Several countries sent ships and planes to Tonga. Hundreds of people cleared the airport with their own hands so the planes could land.
Difficult words: devastate (to destroy something completely), disabled (when a person is not able to use one or more parts of his body in an expected way), clear (to move things and make space).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos