Man stands on a dead whale – level 1
Here is some news from Australia. A man is at sea. He is 26 years old. He sees a whale. It is dead. There are sharks around it.
The man jumps in the water. He climbs on the whale. Then he stands on it for a moment. Authorities think about punishing him, but they don’t. The whale was dead. He did not hurt it.
The man’s parents say that he is an idiot.
Difficult words: climb (come/go), authorities (bosses of a part of a country), punish (to make somebody pay or do something he doesn’t like for doing something bad).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you also think he's an idiot?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.