Man stops a train – level 3
From the left hand side of the screen ,you can see a man jump onto the tracks. He stands there, swaying for several minutes. Other passengers try talking to him, but he doesn’t move.
He can then be seen jumping about and even waving in front of him. But it is not long before a train approaches. Dressed in dark clothing, the man is difficult to see and the train driver has to slam on the brakes. The train stops just feet in front of him.
Twenty-one-year-old Nathan Barker has now been sentenced to 16 weeks in prison. He admitted obstructing the railway at the station near his home in Bentley last March.
Difficult words: sway (to move slowly from one side to another), slam on the brakes (to make a vehicle stop suddenly by pressing the brakes very hard), obstruct (block).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.