Man tries to steal a Porsche – level 3
The moment a man cut open the canvas roof of a convertible Porsche before climbing inside and trying to drive off in it has been captured on CCTV. The footage shows the man approaching the parked car, looking inside and then cutting open the roof with a knife.
You can then see him clambering inside the vehicle which was parked in Mayfair in London. This prompted the car’s alarm to go off. All this happened in broad daylight and in front of passersby on Tuesday the 29th September.
The suspect fails in his attempt to drive off in the car, and can then be seen climbing back out through the hole in the roof, bouncing down off the back of the car.
Later the same day, police were called to a robbery in Oxford Street. A man believed to be the same suspect was seen trying to leave the shop with stolen trainers, a sports top and tracksuit bottoms. When staff challenged him, he threatened them with a lock knife.
Police are appealing for anyone who recognises this man to come forward.
Difficult words: canvas (a strong cloth), CCTV (a security camera), clamber (to climb), prompt (to make), attempt (to try), bounce (to jump), appeal (to make a serious request).
What do you think about this man?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos