Man tries to steal – level 2
A security camera video shows a man in a gold shop. He tries on a gold necklace which is worth over $3,000.
A person in the shop asks the man to return it, but he starts to talk on his phone and walks to the door. He then runs out of the shop and the saleswoman chases him. Later, shop workers caught him with the help of passers-by.
Police arrive at the scene and arrest him. He is 27 years old, and he tried to steal the necklace to pay off a gambling debt.
Difficult words: chase (follow somebody and try to catch them), passer-by (person who is walking somewhere when something happens), debt (money which you must return to somebody).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think of this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.