Man tries to steal – level 3
A man who attempted to steal a gold necklace from a jewellery store in China was arrested on Tuesday following a chase involving shop employees and local residents.
This surveillance footage shows the man entering a gold shop at around 10.40 am and asking a saleswoman to let him try on a gold necklace worth over $3,000.
When he was asked to take off the necklace and return it, the man began talking on his phone whilst walking towards the door. He then ran out of the shop and was chased by one of the saleswomen. The thief was caught by the store workers and passers-by whilst attempting to hail a taxi.
Police eventually arrived at the scene and took the man into custody. The 27-year-old robbery suspect is a local resident who said he attempted the robbery to pay off a gambling debt.
Difficult words: surveillance footage (security camera video), chase (follow), hail (get), thief (person who steals something), eventually (in the end), custody (prison).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.