Man tries “walking” to Bermuda – level 3
This video footage shows the moment a man who attempted to run around the Bermuda Triangle in a hydro-bubble, is rescued off the coast of Florida, after becoming exhausted.
Reza Baluchi had planned a death-defying ‘zorbing’ trip across the sea to Bermuda, then Puerto Rico and back to southern Florida. US Coast Guard officials set out to rescue him on October 4th after they received reports of a middle aged man who was missing.
Reza was reportedly found disoriented inside the hydro-bubble and was understandably asking for directions to Bermuda. The coast guard tried to convince Baluchi to abandon his 3,500-mile trip after noticing the bubble was only stocked with water and protein bars, but an adamant Reza refused to leave.
The endurance-runner stressed that he prepared for the journey for two years and wanted to continue. Finally, after activating his locating beacon on Saturday morning, he was hoisted aboard an MH-60 Jayhawk and flown to Florida for a medical examination.
Reza is now safe and there were no reports of any injuries during the rescue operation.
Difficult words: attempt (try), Bermuda Triangle (an area of water between Florida, Bermuda, and Puerto Rico), exhaust (to be very tired), death-defying (very dangerous), reportedly (according to what some people say), convince (to make somebody think something and then do something), abandon (leave), stocked (full), adamant (he did not want to change his mind), endurance (the ability to endure or suffer something), beacon (emergency signal), hoist (lift).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.