Man with a pig heart – level 2
Doctors in Maryland, US, moved a pig heart into a human. The operation took seven hours, and doctors used a genetically-modified pig heart. There were similar operations in the past, but they were never successful.
Last week’s operation was successful because the patient’s body did not reject the heart immediately. The patient was doing well three days after the operation, but it was not possible to say if he would live or for how long.
The patient was a 57-year-old man from Maryland. The operation was his last chance because he was too sick to get a human heart. The operation was not a usual procedure, and doctors needed special permission to complete it.
Difficult words: genetically-modified (when scientists change the genetic information of a living thing or its body parts), reject (to not accept), permission (when someone allows someone else to do something).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos